Thursday, April 2, 2009

Sprout!



Wendy gifted Silas with a bean sprout lesson- and he LOVED it. He has been popping these things like raisins for the last two days... and they're soooooo good for him!




So, she gave him a jar, an inch or two of lentils, and card with directions. We soaked the beans overnight, poured off the water, then just allowed them to sit in the jar (rinsing twice a day). Within three days they looked like above and had more than doubled in bulk. There is no trace of the flavor of the bean once it has sprouted. Just green green yummy green.

After they reached the length we wanted, we put them in the sun to green up. Then off to the fridge. It was so interesting and fast enough that he didn't lose interest. As a matter of fact, we're doing soybeans next! (just went to the co-op today).




I can't wait to get him in the garden. Why does growing it yourself make it so much more edible? Especially to him? If I had bought these sprouts, he would turn his nose up at them- and now they're candy. hmmmm.... must put this knowledge to good use...

And now I understand why the birds keep tackling (read: destroying) my newly sprouted lettuces and spinach

1 comment:

  1. I would like a copy of the instructions. I have been wanting to do this for so long, but it just seemed daunting. I know! I know! Of all people, I don't sprout!

    ReplyDelete